20 Ways to Stay Healthy While You’re at Work.
We know that it can be difficult to stay healthy while you’re at work, unhealthy snacks are even more tempting when you’re bored and when you need a boost of energy. Sitting at a desk in front of a computer all day can be detrimental to your health, and your posture. To make it easier for you to stay healthy and get moving while you’re at work, we’ve come up with a list of ways to help:
- Drink lots of water – We haven’t written this list in order of importance, however this first point is probably the most important, to stay healthy you need to stay hydrated.
- Take the stairs – Another important, and perhaps obvious tip, taking the stairs rather than the lift to your office will help you fit in a bit more exercise each day.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – Make sure to have a healthy and balanced breakfast, this will keep you going until lunch or your mid-morning healthy snack.
- Stand up when talking to a colleague – even if they come over to your desk for a quick chat, this is a good excuse to stand up for a bit.
- Don’t use your wheelie chair as a method of transportation to the other side of your office – Yes it may be much easier, quicker and entertaining, but getting something you need that’s not within reach is another excuse to take a break from sitting down for too long.
- Walk to a colleague if you need to talk to them – Rather than using an instant messenger or email, take a walk to your colleague’s desk or office.
- Remember to stretch – If you’re working on a long task that needs to be done, remember to have a stretch a few times an hour. If you’re doing shorter tasks, have a stretch after finishing each one.
- Check your posture – Make sure you’re not sitting in a position that’s bad for your posture, and change this every so often.
- Have a walk around while you’re on the phone – Or march on the spot if your phone isn’t cordless. You could also do this while waiting for the copier or printer, or even step it up to jogging on the Who cares if your colleagues think you look silly.
- Walk to the bathroom – If there’s one close to your desk, pick a different one that’s a bit further away, the same goes with printers or bins.
- Go to an exercise class at lunch – Lunch is a great time to fit in a class. If you don’t have the time, find an exercise buddy and start your own fitness class in your office.
- Get a pedometer – Set yourself daily step goals to achieve while you’re at work. Why not get your office team involved and make it a competition to see who can get the most steps?
- Pack a healthy lunch – It’s great to get out and walk somewhere to get lunch, but if you go somewhere it’s possible you’ll be tempted by unhealthy and quick options like fast food. Plan and prepare lunches in advance to stick to healthy eating during work hours.
- Go out for a walk at lunchtime – Make sure to leave your office for a walk after you’ve eaten the healthy lunch that you brought to work with you.
- Walking meetings – If you’ve scheduled a short/informal meeting, skip the meeting room and have the meeting with your colleague whilst walking around, either outside or around the office.
- Park further away – If there’s free parking around your office, why not park out of the office car park and add some more walking into your day.
- Only drive to work if it’s necessary – Walk or cycle to work instead.
- Keep some workout equipment at your desk – Maybe some small weights, then they’ll be there for you to use while you’re on the phone or reading emails.
- Schedule snacking times – Only eat when you’re hungry try to limit your snacking times. Have a mid-morning snack, and maybe another between lunch and dinner. Two snacks, between 3 meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) is plenty for most people.
- Last but certainly not least, get yourself a supply of healthy snacks – Unhealthy, sugary snacks like chocolate and crisps might give you a quick energy spike but this will be followed by a crash! Take a variety of healthy snacks – savoury as well as sweet – to work instead.
Whether it’s a personal box, or you convince your employers to purchase a supply of healthy snacks for the office, The Nutribox is a great way to get a nutritiously delicious supply of snacks to make it easier for you to snack healthy and stay healthy at work. Find out more about our boxes here.