Italian Herb Baked Spinach Chips
Spinach is a fantastic vegetable for its versatility, taste and health benefits. When buying spinach, we’d advise you look out for tender baby spinach leaves to avoid them being tough and stringy like larger and more mature leaves can be. Also, spinach leaves placed under direct light in supermarkets have been found to contain more nutrients than those stored in darkness. Cooking spinach actually increases its health benefits! Just half a cup of cooked spinach will give you three times as much nutrients as one cup of raw spinach. This is because the body cannot completely break down the nutrients in raw spinach for its use. Unfortunately, there is a compound in spinach called oxalic acid, which blocks the absorption of calcium and iron. An easy way to solve this problem is to pair spinach with a food high in vitamin C. Spinach is well known or its benefits of nourishing the eyes and building bones. What few know is that it also very good for digestion and healthy skin.
This healthy snack recipe is quick, easy and a nice alternative to kale chips. Try experimenting with different seasonings and let us know your favourite!
· 32 tbsp fresh spinach leaves
· 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
· Salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, put the spinach leaves. Put olive oil and mix it well without breaking or tearing the leaves.
4. Sprinkle salt and Italian blend and mix well till all leaves are coated.
5. Take the foil lined baking sheet and arrange the leaves in a single layer without any overlaps.
6. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it sit on the baking sheet for another 2 minutes.
7. Using a spatula, transfer them into a bowl or plate.
8. Serve the spinach chips with a nice dip and a refreshing beverage.
Top tip: Make the spinach chips in batches. Do not overcrowd the baking sheet. Every leaf should be exposed to the heat.
We found this recipe here.
These spinach crisps make fantastic snacks! Cooking or baking your own snacks is a great way to spend your weekend if you fancy trying some recipes. If you don’t have time to make your own but you’re interested in getting a source of nutritious and healthy snacks, find out how you can have healthy snack boxes delivered to your door, by clicking here.