National Vegetarian Week: Moroccan Chickpea Soup
It is National Vegetarian Week and to celebrate we will be posting a different vegetarian recipe for you to try each day. We hope you will discover dishes you haven’t come across before and are excited to try.
Today’s recipe is a delicious Moroccan Chickpea Soup. This delicious recipe, found on BBC Good Food, is full of wonderful nutrients as well as flavour. Why not make it in advance and take it to work for a healthy snack for lunch that will keep you full of energy all afternoon?
- 1 tbsp olive
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped plum tomatoes with garlic
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 100g frozen broad beans
- zest and juice ½ lemon
- large handful coriander or parsley and flatbread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then fry the onion and celery gently for 10 mins until softened, stirring frequently. Tip in the cumin and fry for another min.
- Turn up the heat, then add the stock, tomatoes and chickpeas, plus a good grind of black pepper. Simmer for 8 mins. Throw in broad beans and lemon juice, cook for a further 2 mins. Season to taste, then top with a sprinkling of lemon zest and chopped herbs. Serve with flatbread.
Like it spicy?
Try adding a spoonful of harissa paste. Curry lovers can swap the cumin for 1 tsp of garam marsala.
To find out how you can snack more healthily click here.