National Vegetarian Week: Tex-Mex Burrito
It is National Vegetarian Week and to celebrate we will be posting a different vegetarian recipe for you to try each day. We hope you will discover dishes you haven’t come across before and are excited to try.
Today’s delicious recipe is a Tex-Mex Burrito we found on BBC Good Food. This is a fantastic twist on the classic omelette, serves two, it’s quick to make and full of protein – the ideal midweek supper or healthy snack to take with you when you’re on the go.
- 2 tomatoes , halved, seeds scooped out, then chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red chilli , sliced (deseeded if you like it milder)
- 4 eggs
- 100ml milk
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 100g cheddar , grated
- 2 large wraps (we suggest wholemeal!)
- soured cream and guacamole to serve, (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, half the spring onions and half the red chilli with some seasoning and set aside. Beat the eggs and milk with a fork with some seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the remaining spring onion and chilli for 1 min, then pour in the egg mix. Gently scramble the eggs by dragging the egg mixture as it sets into the middle of the pan. Cook to your liking, then take off the heat and throw on the cheese. Stir through, then divide between the wraps. Tuck up the top and bottom of each wrap and roll up, then slice in half and serve with the homemade tomato salsa, soured cream and guacamole, if you like.
If you’d like to know how you can snack more healthily click here.