National Vegetarian Week: Warm Lentil and Halloumi Salad
It is National Vegetarian Week and to celebrate we will be posting a different vegetarian recipe for you to try each day. We hope you will discover dishes you haven’t come across before and are excited to try. Many of the ingredients in today’s dish make great healthy snacks on their own but combined they make a different salad that is miles away from limp lettuce and soggy cucumber!
Today’s delicious and nutritious recipe, which we found on Cook Vegetarian, is a Warm Lentil and Halloumi Salad. It takes slightly longer to make (30-60 minutes) than some of the other recipes we have posted this week but why not try something different for lunch this Saturday? The following recipe serves 4 people. Let us know how you get on!
- 150g Puy lentils
- 1 tsp Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g vegetarian halloumi
- 2 small courgettes, cut into ribbons with a peeler
- 50g pomegrante seeds
- a handful of fresh coriander, including stalks
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cover the lentils with cold water and bring to the boil. Add the vegetable stock and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Drain well.
- While the lentils are still warm, place them in a large bowl. Add the onion, chilli and olive oil then crush in the garlic cloves and stir well.
- For the halloumi, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the halloumi and fry on each side until golden. Stir the courgettes, pomegranate seeds and coriander into the bowl with the lentils. Season to taste.
- Top the lentil mixture with the halloumi slices and serve.
If you’d like to know how you can snack more healthily click here.