Sugar-Free Marzipan Chocolates
We all enjoy tasty chocolate treats every so often, so why not make yourself a healthier version of these. Here’s a recipe for some yummy vegan, sugar-free & gluten-free marzipan chocolates!
For this recipe we used the sugar replacement xylitol to make some tasty marzipan treats.
Xylitol has many benefits, but here’s just a few of them;
- Xylitol looks and tastes similar to table sugar, this makes it more convenient for an alternative in baking recipes, as it can be measured in the same way.
- It’s lower in calories than table sugar too.
- Regular consumption of Xylitol can help to fight cavities. It’s non-fermentable and so doesn’t feed bacteria such as plaque.
As well as being sugar-free, these chocolates are gluten free & vegan.
What you’ll need to make them:
150g Ground Almonds
1 tsp Natural Almond Extract
100g of 100% dark chocolate
Chopped or flaked almonds to decorate
How To Make them:
- To make sure your marzipan isn’t grainy, the first step is to grind down the almonds and the xylitol a bit more, into a very fine powder.
- Heat your 15ml of water and add 1/4 of the xylitol, mix this to make some syrup.
- Combine the rest of your dry ingredients then mix in the almond extract and syrup.
- Mix and knead this mixture until it forms a small dough – and the marzipan is ready! After this it’s best to leave the dough in the fridge for at least 30mins to rest.
- After it’s had a rest, take small pieces of your marzipan dough and roll them into balls.
- Chocolate Time! Melt your chocolate and cover the marzipan balls with it, we found the best way to do this was dipping the balls into the chocolate, then using a spoon to cover the gaps.
- Leave these to set again in the fridge, then your delicious healthy chocolates are ready!
Hope you enjoy this recipe!