Sweet Potato Kebabs
Here at The Nutribox, we love sweet potatoes! They are readily available, inexpensive, delicious and nutritious. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin B6 and vitamin C. These are both important vitamins for health and wellbeing. Sweet potatoes are also a source of vitamin D, which plays an important role in our energy levels, moods and helps to build healthy bones, heart, nerves, skin and teeth. As well as all these fantastic vitamins they also contain iron and magnesium. So as you can see, there are many reasons to love sweet potatoes!
This recipe is for sweet potato kebabs and uses the grill, but if you’re making the most of the hot weather you could also use a barbecue. Sweet potato kebabs would make the perfect summer side dish or healthy snack.
You will need
• 6 sweet potatoes, washed & scrubbed (peel if not organic)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• salt and pepper, freshly ground
• additional spices (optional); choose from cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder, or other preferred spice
• chopped fresh herbs for garnish (optional); choose from parsley, mint, thyme, dill, sage, basil, or other preferred herb
• 8 15″ metal skewers (or equivalent). Bamboo skewers are not recommended because they are difficult to pierce through the hard potato slices.
1. Slice potatoes into 1/2″ thick rounds, discarding ends. With potato slices laying flat, thread each one all the way through the diameter onto metal skewers. Use a twisting motion as you insert the skewer to help it cut through the potato.
2. Brush each skewer of potatoes lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper (plus additional seasonings, if desired). Turn over each skewer and repeat oiling and seasoning on other side.
3. Over medium heat, grill the potato skewers for approximately 7 minutes; there should be a few visible grill marks. Flip skewers over and grill approx. 7 minutes more until soft all the way through when pricked with a fork.
4. Cooked sweet potato kebabs may have a dried out appearance, however they are moist inside and taste good. You can brush them again lightly with olive oil just before removing them from the grill to eliminate their dry appearance. This makes for a prettier presentation.
5. Garnish with chopped fresh herbs, if desired. Serve warm or room temperature.
We found this recipe here.